We are big fans of the great domestic artisan cheeses that have put American cheesemaking back on the map. Nothing beats a tasty cheese & charcuterie plate with a selection of pickles and jams as accompaniments. We have covered the “how to” of successful pairings here.
But with the colder weather we are tempted to throw on the oven for some baking projects, so we came up with this recipe for cheesy mini scones using the Apple Walnut Smoked Promontory of our friends at Beehive Cheese in Utah (we wrote a post to express our love for them here). It is a great pairing served with our Heirloom Preserve Ben Lear Cranberry and the mini size makes it a great nibble for a party.
1 3/4 cup all-purpose whole wheat flour (we used BakerMiller’s blend)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup Beehive Apple Walnut Smoked Promontory, grated (plus some extra to top off the scones)
1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
1/2 tsp thyme, dry or fresh, finely chopped
(1) Heat the oven to 400F
(2) In a bowl and with a wooden spoon mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and thyme.
(3) Mix in the egg, olive oil and then fold the sour cream into the dough.
(4) Add the shredded cheese and quickly knead the dough to a smooth texture, be careful not to overwork it.
(5) For appetizer size mini scones, roll the dough into a rectangle of about 3 inches width and 0.5 inches thickness.
(6) Cut into triangles (yields approx. 20 pieces) and move to baking sheet.
(7) Bake for about 20 min. After 10 minutes sprinkle remaining cheese onto the scones.
(8) Serve with Scrumptious Pantry Ben Lear Cranberry Preserve