We are very excited to be bringing you our latest Pairing of the Week. It’s a twist on an All American favorite. This week we have paired our Heirloom Tomato Relish with a Sweet Vanilla Cardona Cheese from our friends at Carr Valley Cheese. In 2011, Carr Valley’s Sweet Vanilla Cardona took first place at the 2011 U.S. Championship Cheese Contest. The artisan cheese is made from goat’s milk and has hints of coconut, caramel and nutmeg in addition to the vanilla flavor throughout. An exquisite gourmet cheese, which pairs wonderfully with our Heirloom Relish Green Tomato. The relish includes a mix of seven rare heirloom tomatoes including the tasty Sheboygan tomato. In addition to tomatoes our heirloom relish features the sweet and mild banana pepper, fresh cucumber and a hint of cumin. As always, our Pairing of the Week is 50% off online – buy the Green Tomato Relish right here!
The best way to enjoy our Pairing of the Week is by making the all time American classic: the Grilled Cheese Sandwich. We think it may be the best Grilled Cheese you have ever tasted so we have dared to call it the Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Grilled Cheese is often served with tomato soup, because the acidity of the tomatoes pairs so well with the richness of the cheese. In this pairing, our Heirloom Relish performs the same role. But instead of warm soup with a warm sandwich, your tastebuds get an additional tickle from the temperature difference between cold relish and warm Grilled Cheese.
2 slices of rustic country bread
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp EV olive oil
Carr Valley’s Vanilla Cardona cheese (in relation to qty of bread!)
2 Tbsp Scrumptious Pantry Green Tomato Relish
(1) Heat a heavy pan (preferably a cast iron skillet) melt 1/2 Tbsp butter in 1/2 Tbsp EV Olive Oil over medium heat
(2) Add two slices of bread and toast over low heat for ca. 3-5 minutes, pressing down the bread once in a while
(3) Flip the slices of bread over, lay Carr Valley’s Vanilla Cardona onto one slice, fold the second slice on top. The toasted sides are now INSIDE the sandwich
(4) Add remaining butter and EVOO to the pan, cover the sandwich with a plate and weigh it down with a heavy can or jar
(5) Toast the sandwich on 3-5 min on each side over low heat, making sure it does not burn
(6) Serve with a side of Scrumptious Pantry Green Tomato Relish, scooping it onto the sandwich bite for bite
You can read more about our friends at Carr Valley Cheese here.