The nice thing about my job is that I am in grocery stores a lot! And I love snooping around the aisles and taking in the bounty. At my last visit to Whole Foods Market, they had these gorgeous squid in the fish case: about 4 inches long, just the perfect size for finger food!
So I took some home, stuffed them and served them that evening as appetizers (and yes, eat it with your fingers. Much more fun.) The Heirloom Hot Sauce American Persimmon comes into play here. With its beautiful balance of acid, heat and sweetness, it really brings the dish together with just a splash. It’s not about heat – it’s all about flavor.
Ingredients (for two people, one squid per person)
2 squid (4″ ea), cleaned
1/8 oz fresh ginger, finely minced
1/2 tsp fresh garlic, finely minced
1/4 cup dried currants
1 Tbsp Scrumptious Pantry Hot Sauce American Persimmon
1 cup leeks
1/2 cup par-cooked white quinoa
1 Tbsp roasted cashew nuts, crushed
Salt to taste
Optional: a Tbsp finely heirloom tomatoes for a juicy dash of color
(1) In a bowl, soak the currants in hot sauce with garlic and ginger
(2) Over medium heat, in a frying pan, sauté the leeks till tender in a splash of sesame oil
(3) Add quinoa and cashew nuts to the marinating currants, add leeks and mix well
(4) Salt to taste
(5) Carefully stuff the squid, brush with some sesame oil and bake in a 400 F oven for about 15 min or until browned
(6) Serve with some Heirloom Hot Sauce Persimmon on the side for those who like a little more heat!
Plan with two – three squid per person if you serve this as a main dish